On Feb. 28, Disney Parks Blog announced the return of its Memorial Day Weekend 24-hour party. The party will be held on both coasts, at Magic Kingdom Park, part of Walt Disney World Resort, and at Disneyland Park. The All-Night Extravaganza sees these parks open for 24 hours straight.
In 2014, “Rock Your Disney Side Party” will take place from a.m., May 23 to 6 a.m., May 24, 2014, local time. The parties officially kick off Disney’s family-travel season.
This year’s 24-hour parties at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park spotlight the Disney characters and guests’ relationship with them. All guests who attend “Rock Your Disney Side” are encouraged to dress up as a favorite hero or villain. The parties will also provide character meet-and-greets throughout the park as well as special event entertainment, merchandise and food.
Disney’s guidelines for costumes follow and are available online at the “Rock Your Disney Side Party” page:
• Costumes should be child-friendly and adhere to any guidelines determined by Disney.
• Costumes should not be obstructive, offensive or violent; drag on the ground; contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest; contain any weapons or objects which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
• Masks may be worn, but they must not obstruct vision, and eyes must be visible at all times.
• Guests who dress like Disney characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs.
• Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused admission.
Naming the 24-hour party “Rock Your Disney Side” also reflects Disney’s Disney Side promotion. The media campaign encourages guests to share their memories and fan affiliation with the brand through social media using the hashtag #DisneySide.
Disney made the announcement first via Twitter, using a photo of 140 Disney characters in the shape of a hashtag. The announcement emphasized both the #DisneySide media campaign and the All-Night Extravaganza’s emphasis on characters and costumes.
“Rock Your Disney Side” with Disney Side Summer Sweepstakes
As part of the “Rock Your Disney Side Party,” Disney is holding a Disney Side Summer Sweepstakes. To enter, people who follow Walt Disney World or Disneyland on Twitter tweet how they plan to “Rock” their Disney Side this summer, tagged with #DisneySideSweepsEntry.
The winner will receive a coast-to-coast, 7-day/6-night Disney Parks vacation for four people to both “Rock Your Disney Side” parties. The prize includes back-to-back stays at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida followed by the Disneyland Resort in California from May 20 through May 26, 2014.
Disney Side Summer Sweepstakes entries are accepted through 11:59 p.m. ET on March 31, 2014. The full list of rules may be found here.
Kungaloosh! Put on your set of ears and join me in stalking the Mouse. Read more of my Disney Travel Examiner articles or sign up for a free subscription.