Dr. Oz spoke to “The Little Couple” stars Dr. Jen Arnold and her husband Bill Klein about her “molar pregnancy” and recovery from a rare form of cancer on the Feb. 28 episode of the Dr. Oz Show (“The Little Couple’s Cancer Scare”).
Arnold is now cancer-free after recently undergoing her last round of chemotherapy. In 2013, she was diagnosed with stage 3 choriocarcinoma, a rare cancer that occurred after a failed pregnancy.
Jen, 39, got pregnant during the adoption of her second child, Zoey. Because of her longtime struggle with infertility, Arnold never thought she would actually get pregnant.
Unfortunately, she developed a molar pregnancy, which occurs when tissue that normally becomes a fetus instead grows into abnormal growth in the uterus. The growth produces symptoms of pregnancy, even though it isn’t an embryo.
Arnold, a neonatologist at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston, was diagnosed with cancer during the treatment of her molar pregnancy. Jen decided to undergo chemotherapy to treat her rare condition.
Arnold said her doctors initially had difficulty adjusting her chemotherapy dosage due to her small size. Arnold has skeletal dysplasia, a bone-growth disorder that causes dwarfism. Fortunately, everything worked out, and Jen is now cancer-free. She credits her supportive husband and their strong marriage for helping her through her health struggle.
Dr. Oz’s Favorite Nut Butters For Weight Loss + Easy Recipes
On a separate segment of his show, Dr. Oz discussed the health benefits of nut butters, which curb hunger, promote weight loss and improve health. Research shows that people who regularly eat nuts live longer. Plus, they taste good.
1. Walnut butter. Dr. Oz said walnut butter prevents heart disease and reduces cholesterol.
Grilled Walnut Butter Apple Sandwich recipe
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- ½ a sliced apple
- 2 tablespoons of walnut butter
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
2. Peanut butter. Dr. Oz said peanut butter is super-rich in antioxidants and helps stabilize blood sugar.
3. Hazelnut butter. Dr. Oz said hazelnut butter ensures regular bowel movements because it’s high in magnesium.
4. Macadamia nut butter. Macadamia nut butter has lots of vitamin B1, which supports a healthy nervous system and improves mood.
Macadamia Chocolate Truffles recipe
- 1/4 cup organic dates
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp macadamia nut butter
- ½ cup whole macadamia nuts
- Pinch of sea salt.
Add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse together. Using clean hands, roll into small balls and place on a plate or in a plastic container to let set (covered) in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.