– How many lumps do you want?: A cockatoo quaffing Starbucks coffee on a tv news report brewed up quite the tempest in a teapot among aviculturists concerned that coffee isn’t healthy for birds. http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/parrot-prefers-mocha-coffee/story?id=238… “Bird Talk”‘s Sally Blanchard says, “Coffee, like chocolate, is a stimulant, which can increase heart rate. While a parrot may not have any apparent problems from drinking coffee, a serious problem can occur if something else stresses the bird. Years ago I talked to a woman who gave her 15 year old Amazon chocolate as a treat. One point she gave him some chocolate before he was to be groomed. I have noticed through the years that many Amazons really become stressed when they are being groomed. In the middle of the grooming the bird went limp and died. A necropsy showed that the otherwise healthy bird had a heart attack. There was little doubt in my mind that chocolate was a contributing factor. Coffee can also be a dangerous stimulant for parrots.” We’d say most cockatoos are wired enough without the caffeine, and besides, this one seems more interested in chewing on the cup. On the other hand, tea may be more your bird’s cup of tea. (See Clubbin’ article below.)
– Parrots are the last link to a long gone South American Indian tribe: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/05/long-lost-language-spoken-only-by-…
– Nigel the cockatoo from “Rio” and “Rio 2” sings “I Will Survive” : http://themoviebox.net/4546
– Is parrot keeping as a hobby doomed?: Troubling signs for aviculture in “Parrotdise Lost”, examiner George Sommers‘ June “Pet Gazette” feature article Page 10. Click to enlarge. http://duxburypetgazette.ma.newsmemory.com/
– “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” is a poetic metaphor for dealing with racism by the recently deceased Maya Angelou
– Mary Rose, founder of Chirping Central Conservation Fund, a non-profit foundation dedicated to avian conservation, will be rowing across the Pacific Ocean in the ’14 Great Pacific Race. The approximate 4 month ordeal means leaving her pets, including several birds behind. ‘‘Dakota [blue and gold macaw] with his kisses and ‘see you later’s, Cricket [Camelot macaw] with her multiple versions of ‘hello’ and big wings, Niko [blue and gold macaw] with his roll overs to get a tummy rub, Arita [African grey] with her ‘watcha doin’ and ‘go flightplan’, Honey [Moluccan cockatoo] who drives me crazy with her screaming but always says ‘I love you’ and Snowball [goffins cockatoo] with her jumping across the floor like a kangaroo. This race involves many, many sacrifices which I happily make to do something for birds in the wild, but this sacrifice is painful – not only for me but them. I know they are in good hands while I am gone but this is just the hardest thing,” she says.
– Psittacine cinema: African grey parrot spells, counts, talks- with British accent, no less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH80gzSs790 — Flock o’ ‘toos (+ one African grey) enjoy some outdoor time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poRjD_1eg_k&feature=youtu.be — African greys in the wild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OROGtzDGk7c&app=desktop — “Death wish” cockatiel taunts cat: http://www.957kjr.com/onair/luciana-bosio-45943/bird-wont-stop-annoying-… — Ich bin ein Berliner parrot- Barbara Heidenreich‘s parrot training seminar in Germany: http://youtu.be/csXCeWAipbk — The barking parrot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJcHhZOkPro — CharlieGirl having a rant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Q3DGW7w1o&feature=youtu.be — How to harness a parrot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etKRisR7vgo — Why male Eclectus look so different from female Eclectus @ http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-exclusives/eclectus-colors.aspx — Playful ringneck: http://mostamazingviews.com/parrot-sat-womans-shoulder-happened-next-wil… — Abandoned baby macaw handraised and released back into the wild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lYD1dOtH2U
– Parrot quote o’ the week: “I think in my next life I won’t get married, I am going to get myself a parrot! !!” – Heather Bovy.
– Congratulations to Foster Parrots’ Marc Johnson on winning The National Council for Animal Protection “Grassroots Leadership Award”, recognizing exceptional contributions to animal protection. The annual award is presented to an individual who demonstrates leadership, advances respect, compassion and justice for animals, and whose actions exemplify the Code of Ethics of the NCAP.
– Conservation corner: Good news: A new species of parrot, the Ecuador Amazon, has been discovered. Bad news: There are only around 600 left. http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/2014/05/26/ecuador-amazon-parrot-re… more: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27521674
– There are nearly 17 million birds kept as pets in the United States. Birds are the third most popular companion pet behind dogs and cats.
– Expert roundtable: Pine cones make fun parrot toys- but they must be properly prepared first: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/are-pine-cones-safe-for-parrots/ — Why parrots do what they do: http://www.beautyofbirds.com/understandingparrots.html — What NOT to feed your parrot: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/off-limit… — Recognize sickness symptoms in your bird: a quiz: http://www.birdchannel.com/quiz/quizpage-8586.aspx — How to prevent West Nile virus in birds: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/west-nile-virus-in-parrots-10-tips-for-pr… –Cage territoriality: http://www3.upatsix.com/liz/articles/territory.html– Tool use in parrots: https://companionparrotonline.com/Tool_use.html
– Are you a boy or are you a girl? How to determine sex of cockatiels: http://www.cockatielcottage.net/cockatiels3.html
– We disagree with those who say NObody should EVER keep any parrot for a pet, but do think EVERYone considering owning one should first be aware of this information: http://floridaexoticbirdsanctuary.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/an-open-lette…
– Clubbin’: Jason Crean, noted avian biologist, award winning teacher and zoo consultant. talks about Teas for Beaks (and Humans too). at Villa Crest Retirement Center dining room, 1276 Hanover St., Manchester, NH.( 0.4 miles east of the Hanover Street exit, Exit 6, from Interstate 93.) 6/9 at 7:45 as a guest of NH’s Birds Of A Feather. BOAF is paying the cost for Jason’s presentation so there will be no charge for attending this meeting, even for nonmembers and guests. Jason will be selling his teas after his presentation. — Woodies’ Wings Parrot Club (England) meets Tues. 6/3. — American FederationFor/Avilulture meets July 30-Aug.2 http://www.afabirds.org/convention_index.shtml — Dr. Al Decoteau awarded a Society Parrot Breeders and Exhibitors (SPBE) Founders Award to Pat Tucker at the NECBE Memorial Day show.
– Showime: 5/31: Greater New York Pet Expo – Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, 1255 Hempstead Turnpike, Uniondale, NY – 10 -6 – 800-977-3609 ext. 103 – email@example.com — Charlotte Pet Expo – Chantilly Shopping Center, 800 Briar Creek Road, Charlotte, NC – 10-6 – 800-977-3609 x103 – firstname.lastname@example.org — Maryland Budgerigar Society Show – Days Inn Alexandria, 110 S Bragg St. W, Alexandria, VA – 10-5 – 757-879-3654 – email@example.com — 6/7-8: Tim Vogle’s Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair – Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA 30297 – Sat 9-5, Sun 9-4 – 843-216-1553 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 6/8: Exotic Bird Fair Expo – Circleville Volunteer Fire Department, 129 North Robbins Station Road, North Huntingdon, PA – 10-4 – 419-685-2412 – email@example.com — Ipswich (Australia) Bird Spectaculart Ipswich Showgrounds 9–1. “Australian BirdKeeper” will be there. — 7/19: Parrot Training and Behavior Workshop w Barbara Heidenreich 10:00 Cascade Hospital for Animals in Grand Rapids, Michigan
– Rescue me: “Human parrots” spend day in aviary to raise money for bird conservation: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/birdworld-staff-spend-day-par… –Support a rescue and the local music scene – Sun. 6/29, 3-5:30 p.m. Father Greenan Hall behind St. Francis of Assissi, High St. Wakefield RI . Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 the day of the concert, $10 for Students and kids 12 and under. Tickets on sale at Sweetcakes Bakery in PeaceDale, Baker’s Pharmacy in Jamestown or online at www.lazibirds.org. — Project Perry: http://www3.upatsix.com/liz/articles/territory.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwkPnzTN8g — Feathered Sanctuary Yard Sale Sat. 5/31, 8-4, 2911 Willow St. Pike, Willow, PA — Show your support for endangered blue-throated macaws by purchasing a gorgeous, limited-edition t-shirt. designed exclusively for the World Parrot Trust. http://www.parrots.org/bluestee/
– Lost: If your bird is lost, Angela Cancilla Herschel (who recently helped an owner find her lost green cheeked conure) notes that Craigslist, Kijiji, Gumtree, Ebay, Petharbor, Pennysaver, Facebook, newspaper ads and articles, etc. often expire after a given amount of time. 911 ParrotAlert, ParrotAlert, Bird Hotline, etc don’t usually cross post.because they are somewhat permanent. When searching for matches on lost/found birds. They will visit all these sites if they can’t find something in their database. Yahoo Group, LostandFoundBirds;https://groups.yahoo.com/group/lostfoundbirds – Facebook page, Lost & Found Worldwide :https://www.facebook.com/groups/LostandFoundBirds/ — Lost: Zig, African grey parrot, Seattle Washington: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pet/4486914667.html — Lost: Lovebird Nottinghamshire, England. Reward offered: http://www.parrotalert.com/L14035#.U4OZdSRH5rg.facebook — Lost: African grey Harrisonburg, VA Call 540-271-3643 or 540-476-0227 — Lost: Conure Columbus, Ohio: http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads%2Flost-conure-columbus-o… — Found: turquoise parakeet, Staten Island, NY. Contact Long Island Parrot Society at 631 957 1100.
– News tips: Aruna Aquarius, Mary Angel, Emmett Renshaw, Viki Bullock, Angela Cancilla Herschel, Kathy Heaton, Karen Johnson Foster, Midland Parrots, Dennis Bohn, Arlene Levin, Lanette Raymond, Ray Riley, Parrot Society of New England, Republic of Birds, Linda Bringle Pearl, Deb White, Marc Johnson, Flapping Feathers newsletter