If Clementine oranges are in season, adding natural sweetness to this Orange Chocolate Gluten-free Scone recipe makes it even more divine! This a excellent, low-sugar recipe to maintain those healthy lifestyle habits when it comes to snacking.
Making your own treats, such as this Orange Chocolate Gluten-free Scone recipe, helps to keep you out of the Sugar Danger Zone! However, if you can’t make your own treats, keep the following in mind when purchasing store bought items:
• Smaller portions every few hours throughout the day will boost metabolism and regulate blood sugar levels.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (i.e. leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, brussel sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals and keep you feeling full for longer periods of time.
• Always seek professional medical advise for any dietary needs or health issues.
Follow these simple D.A.T.E. rules to stay abreast of the constantly changing world of food production and consumption:
- Do not simply rely on the sugar grams / or servings listed on the Nutrition Facts chart provided on every product. There may be 0 grams of sugar listed here, but added sugars in smaller quantities may still be contained within the product.
- Always read the INGREDIENTS LIST for added or *hidden sugars. For more information about the *dangers of sugar, click on the link in this sentence.
- Take time to understand what you are eating. An important healthy lifestyle practice is to recognize if it is *REAL FOOD that you are purchasing, consuming, or feeding to your loved ones. For more about the dangers of *Fake Food and the food industry, click on the link in this sentence.
- Educate yourself regularly. Know what chemical names are changing and being assigned to sugar and sweeteners. The industry is continually reinventing itself in an attempt to stay ahead of the informed consumer.
INGREDIENTS for the Orange Chocolate Gluten-free Scone
- 1 c. gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1/4 c. sugar – plus 1 T. sugar, divided and set aside
- Zest of 2 small oranges, preferable Clementines or Little Cuties
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 5 T. chilled butter, diced
- 1 large egs
- 3 T. orange juice
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 3 T. almonds, finely chopped
DIRECTIONS for the Orange Chocolate Gluten-free Scone
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, chilled mixing bowl, whisk the first (6) dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse pea-sized crumbs. You can also use your hands.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, juice and vanilla. Add to dry mixture and stir until dough comes together.
- Gently work in the chocolate with your hands.
- Place the dough onto prepared baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch circle.
- Score into 8 wedges with a large knife.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, until edges are golden and scones are just barely firm.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Cool 20 minutes, then cut along score marks.
Yields: 8 servings
If you enjoyed this recipe, then CHECK OUT some of my other Non / Low-Sugar favorites!
- Natural (sugar free) apple cookies
- Pumpkin Salsa
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Lemon-Blueberry Almond Flour Scones
- Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
For ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.