Intro: Looking for some Labor Day menu ideas? Why not feature a cold appetizer in the form of the basil mozzarella tomato appetizer/ salad. This succulent end-of-summer treat has juicy, sun-ripened tomatoes, tasty mozzarella cheese and a touch of basil.
Labor Day food ideas: Steak salad recipe with avocados and navel oranges
Tomato mozzarella salad with basil is an appetizer that goes well with grilled steak or chicken as a main course.
It makes a good starter and a nice addition to the other cold appetizers that you’ll serve with your Labor Day recipes.
Some tasty variations exist to the tomato basil appetizer with mozzarella cheese.
My favorite is to slice up fresh avocado and pour a balsamic vinegar over the mozzarella, tomato and basil and garnish the outer edges of the dish with the avocado slices. However, you can arrange the salad anyway you want.
Labor Day party ideas: Potato salad pesto with green beans and chicken
It may seem obvious, but you’ll want to keep this cold appetizer cool until you get ready to serve it if you’re having this variation on the Italian insalata caprese for a Labor Day picnic.
Keep the basil mozzarella tomato appetizer out of the heat. Otherwise, the tomato slices and the basil will take on a wilted look.
Labor Day recipes: Farfalle pasta salad with vinaigrette — an easy salad for a BBQ
Labor Day Recipes: Basil Mozzarella Tomato Appetizer
- 2 large tomatoes, ripe, peeled & sliced (1/4-inches)
- 8-oz mozzarella (fresh 1/4-inch thick like tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- 8 basil leaves, fresh
- Arrange the sliced vegetables on a plate.
- Fan all out so that the arrangement for the tomato mozzarella salad/ appetizer looks pretty.
- Sprinkle on the white pepper plus the salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the tomato appetizer.
- Garnish this Labor Day recipe with the fresh basil leaves.
- Serve right away.
- You’ll want to portion the appetizer to the number of people at your party. This serves one, so if you’re going to have a whole group for your Labor Day party, increase the ingredients proportionate to the number of people at the party.
- There’s a second recipe for this in the video.