During Sunday’s pre-Super Bowl interview with Bill O’Reilly, President Obama said the nation does not have to be fundamentally transformed, a marked change from his comment just days before his first election to the White House.
“Mr. President, why do you feel it’s necessary to fundamentally transform the nation that has afforded you so much opportunity and success?” O’Reilly asked, reading a question from a viewer.
“I don’t think we have to fundamentally transform the nation,” Obama said.
“But those are your words,” O’Reilly countered.
“I think that what we have to do is make sure that here in America, if you work hard, you can get ahead. Bill, you and I benefitted from this incredible country of ours, in part, because there were good jobs out there that paid a good wage, because you had public schools that functioned well, that we could get scholarships if we didn’t come from a wealthy family, in order to go to college,” the president added.
The remarks stand in stark contrast to Obama’s comments on Oct. 30, 2008, when he said that “we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.”
Obama also blamed Fox News for controversies surrounding the Sept. 11 terror attack in Benghazi that left Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead and the IRS targeting of conservative groups.
“These kinds of things keep on surfacing in part because you and your TV station will promote them,” Obama said.
“One wonders whether or not a friendlier member of the liberal media would have called out Obama for openly refuting his own past statements, but thankfully O’Reilly was there to immediately challenge President Obama for his hypocrisy,” Jeffrey Meyer said at Newsbusters.
Video of the interview can be seen here.
- Obama lashes out, blames Fox News during O’Reilly pre-Super Bowl interview
- White House marks Super Bowl with picture of Obama
- Report says Obama knew Benghazi was a terror attack, lied about video
- Obama lies about healthcare lie at OFA gathering
- Democratic pollster: Media a threat to America for not exposing Benghazi lies
- Emails reveal White House knew terror group behind Benghazi attack
- White House admits lying about Obama meeting Kenyan uncle
- N.Y. Dem. Senator admits: ‘We knew’ Obama lied about healthcare promise
- IRS admits targeting conservative Tea Party groups, apologizes
- ABC political analyst: IRS scandal emanates from the White House
- Franklin Graham: IRS targeted ministry after criticism of Obama
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.