With the Easter holiday right around the corner, colorful chicks, chocolate bunnies and eggs in spectacular hues seem to be poppin’ up every where this time of year. But move over, Easter Bunny, Peter Cottontail and Peter Rabbit – the Peeps are in town!
Peeps are those delightfully soft and sweet, marshmallow treats folks love to eat, Regardless of how young or old we happen to be, nothing quite says Easter like the iconic, ooey gooey, soft and smooshy edible critters.
Sam Born “invented” the marshmallow treats in the early 1950s. In 1953, it took 27 hours to make just one of the candy man’s first handmade creations, the yellow chick. After helping develop special machines that could crank out a slew of PEEPS chicks at all once in 1954, the Just Born family-owned confectionery company went on to become the biggest marshmallow candy company in the world. Today, it takes about six minutes to create one PEEPS chick. Although a variety of fun animal shapes and colors for different seasons were added over the years, America’s best selling PEEPS color is yellow.
In honor of the delicious occasion, why not whip up one or two PEEPS-inspired “recipeeps” listed below?
Peeps Dishes, Desserts & Treats Recipes
- Peeps Brownies – Fair warning – this brownie recipe looks amazing!
- Little Bow Peeps – Perfect for an Easter basket or tablescape, these Bow Peeps are simply adorable!
- Cadbury Egg & Peeps S’mores – Wowza – two iconic Easter treats in one delish recipe!
- Peeps Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies – You’ll need all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, butter, granulated and brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate chips and 12 Peeps bunnies (not chicks!)
- Tuxedo Peeps – You’ll need dark and white chocolate chips, polka-dot sprinkles and two or three packages of bunny peeps for these cute treats.
- Pecan Peeps Cupcake – These yam and pecan cupcakes, from Janet Hudson, are dunked in pecan syrup. Mmmm.
- Chick and Egg Cupcakes – Awww, these cupcakes are too adorable!
- Pretty Peeps Cupcakes – Watch the kids faces light up when you put these cute cupcakes out on the kitchen counter!
- Chocolate Cookie Peepza – You’ll need sugar cookie dough, chocolate frosting or semi-sweet chocolate chips and two packages of Peeps in any color.
- Easter Dessert Peep-za – You’ll need heavy cream, semi-sweet chocolate chips, sugar cookie dough, salted peanuts, M&Ms and Peeps for this dessert pizza version.
- Peeps Sunflower Cake Recipe – This five-star cake is sure to brighten up anyone’s day!
- Peeps Pudding Cups – You’ll need pudding (or vanilla yogurt), food coloring, sprinkles and a PEEP.
- Peeps Fondue with Hot Fudge Chocolate Sauce – This recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, butter, Oreos, Peanut Butter Cups, M&Ms, sprinkles, semi-sweet chocolate, Teddy Grahams, Sour Gummi Worms, lollipop sticks or skewers.
- Peeps Popcorn – Salt and sweet, the perfect treat to eat!
- Marshmallow Chicks – Why not try to whip up your own homemade version?
- Peepin’ It Real Cocktail – Here’s one for the adults! You’ll need two Peeps, absinthe, blue curacao, grenadine, soda water and a cherry.
- Easter Bunny Cocktail – This pretty-in-pink drink calls for Cherry Vodka, Triple Sec, half-and-half or milk ad grenadine. Dip the glass in coconut flakes dyed green, add some colorful jelly beans and a pink Peep. Cute!
- Peeps-Infused Vodka – Fill up a jar with peeps, pour in the vodka and let the concoction rest for a few days in the fridge.
Happy Easter! And for more Easter fun, please visit:
- 22 ‘Eggciting’ Easter Egg Decorating Projects for Kids
- Free Easter Decorations: 15 Easter egg stickers, tags, bags, cards & crafts
- 27 Easter dessert recipes: Adorable Easter bunnies, chicks and little lambs
- ‘Eggciting’ Easter Fudge Recipe: Super simple 2-ingredient fudge for Easter