So what will you do for fun this first full weekend of spring?
Of course you can celebrate spring responsibly tomorrow at the big equinox party in Hawthorne, Fla. Click here for more info.
Then there are three more days to fill.
For your consideration, a slate of events that are as diverse and kooky as Greater Jacksonville is.
Most are free or nearly so.
Have a ball.
This weekend in GreaterJax™
- 18th Annual Suwannee Springfest – Thurs., Mar. 20, 11 a.m.-Sun., Mar. 23. Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, 3076 95th Dr., Live Oak, Fla. Admission: All weekend passes $190 per person, includes music and camping Thurs.-Sun., taxes and fees included, Kids under 12 FREE. VIP packages available. Featuring the Avett Brothers, Del McCoury Band, Punch Brothers, Steep Canyon Rangers, Donna the Buffalo and 44 more plus artists at large. For more information, please visit suwanneespringfest.com.
- 33rd St. Augustine Lions Seafood Festival – Fri., Mar., 21, 3-9 p.m., Sat., Mar. 22, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. & Sun., Mar. 23 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Francis Field, 29 W. Castillo Dr., St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: $3 Adults, Kids 12 & under FREE. Seafood, seafood, seafood! Plus live bluegrass, country and folk music, arts and crafts, rides, bounce house, face painting and more. For more information, please visit www.lionsfestival.com/index.htm.
- Discover the Pinta & the Niña – Thurs,. Mar. 20-Mar. 25, 1 p.m. Fernandina Harbor Marina, 3 S. Front St., Fernandina Beach, Fla. Admission: Adults $8, Seniors $7, Students 5-16$6. Replicas of Columbus’ ships arrive on Thursday. Includes a walk aboard self-guided tour. For more information, please visit thenina.com or facebook.com/pages/columbus-ships.
- Free Dental Care – Sat., Mar. 22, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. David & Associates Dentistry, 10991-54 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Includes extraction, filling or cleaning. For more information, please call 727-849-2002 or www.DrJoelDavid.com.
- Mort Mose Heritage Event – Sat., Mar. 22, 10 a.m. Fort Mose State Park, 15 Saratoga Blvd., St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public, museum admission $2. Re-enactors and volunteers from across the state participating in the commemoration of the 276th anniversary of the founding of the fort with musket and artillery demonstrations, period food and more. For more information, please visit floridalivinghistory.org
- Muck Fest – Sat., Mar, 22, 9 a.m. Jacksonville Equestrian Center, 13611 Normandy Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: Spectators FREE, entrants $105 at the gate. Test your strength and endurance, raise money for MS research and donate used shoes of any kind to benefit Soles4Souls from 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit muckfestms.com.
- Southern Classic Gun & Knife Show – Sat., Mar. 22, 9 a.m. & Sun., Mar. 23, 10 a.m. Jacksonville Expo Center at the Fairgrounds, 510 Fairgrounds Place, Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: Adults $8, Kids 12 & under FREE. Features a Concealed Weapons Class at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. both days for additional charge. For more information, please call 407-275-7233.
- Spring Garden Festival – Sat., Mar. 22 9 a.m.-5 p.m. & Sun., Mar. 23., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Kanapaha Botanical Gardens, 4700 S.W. 58th Dr., Gainesville, Fla. Admission: Adults $8, Kids 3-13 $5, $2 off for members, FREE parking. 200 booths offering plants, landscape displays, garden accessories, arts and crafts, educational exhibits and, of course, food. Walk through the butterfly conservatory, and enjoy children’s activities area, live entertainment and live auctions. For more information, please call 352-372-4981 or visit www.kanapaha.org.
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com