The human digestive system requires a lot of work to break down food particles for absorption. If it becomes irritated, many healthy food recipes can help.
Consider a green smoothie diet as a healthy alternative for a few days. It will help “flush” your system with nutrition and fiber. Then by including some naturally, soothing properties, you’ll be feeling right as rain in no time at all!
Directions for a Ginger Kisses Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- ½ banana
- 1 ripe pear, skin on – seeds removed
- ½ inch slice of peeled ginger root
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 cup butter lettuce
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut water (or combination of both)
- 4-5 ice-cubes (optional)
• Add additional liquid to achieve desired consistency.
• Ginger naturally contains anti-nausea and painkilling compounds; excellent for upset stomach.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Learn more about the digestive system by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about the benefits of fiber by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.